Disclaimer I received this book c/o BookLook Bloggers.
It’s no secret that I love to read. I packed Garden City: Work, Rest, and the Art of Being Human by John Mark Comer when I headed to Las Vegas for a work conference. In between sessions I took a seat in the hallway amongst the chaos/sea of people and read a few pages. Clearly I needed a brief 10 minute introvert minute to recharge before the next session.
If you could do anything, what would you do? –Garden City: Work, Rest, and the Art of Being Human by John Mark Comer
I only made it into those few pages at the conference, but when I returned home I eagerly awaited the moments of quiet to see what John Mark Comer was going to say next in his book.
“This book is for you. This book is for me. Because this book isn’t about how to get ahead in your career or spice up your resume. The guts of this book are about working, resting, and living a a full exsistence. About “spirirtual life” invading all of life. And about waking up to a God-saturated world. Reading this book makes you take a long, hard look at your life and work and maybe, just maybe, make a change.” –Garden City: Work, Rest, and the Art of Being Human by John Mark Comer
Favorite Quotes From Garden City:
- Because whatever it is you’re called to do… …if you don’t do it, not only do you rob yourself of the life God’s called you to live, bug you rob the rest of us. We need you to be you. Don’t sell us short. Give us all you got.
- As people made in His image – all work is artistic. All work is inherently creative.
- She feels that God made her to help unfold people into the fullest version of themselves.
- Most of us want to be great so that other people will serve us. Jesus is calling us out. He’s saying that greatness is when we love and serve others.
- Have you ever noticed that people who are self-focused and narcissistic are usually really unhappy, if not depressed? Sadly, I know this from experience. But have you also noticed that people who are generally others-focused and more selfless are usually very happy? That’s not a coincidence. It’s the way of Jesus in action. When we’re down, one of the best things we can do is serve somebody else. It’s the back door to joy. And it’s always unlocked.
- Good design is putting our best forward; it is working hard to bring beauty into the world.
John Mark Comer, a pastor at Bridgeport A Jesus Church in Portland, Oregon is also the author of another one of my favorite books, Loveology. After reading Loveology I had a hunch that this book would likely be just as good if not better. This book receives 5 out of 5 ruby red slippers. It was incredible.