10 Things You Must Own Before You Turn 30
I can’t believe I turn 30 in 2018 (less than five months until the big day!). With 30 right around the corner, I’ve been polishing up my grown-up wardrobe. Even though I work with college students, I don’t want to dress the same as I did when I was 22. When I was 22, I was all about a good bargain and didn’t always care about the quality of the item. While I still love a good bargain, these days I’ve been adding quality items to my wardrobe over quantity of items. Here are my recommendations for 10 things you must own before you turn 30.
- Actual pajamas // If you’ve been sleeping in athletic wear for years (like me), it’s time to up your game and try a pair of actual pajamas. I’m all about the texture of the fabric, it has to be soft, otherwise, I won’t wear it and I won’t be able to sleep. I finally purchased real pajamas this December and I have to say, JCrew makes the coziest pajamas.
- Signature scent // Picking a signature scent (or a few) is a must before turning 30. In the early days of Peter and I’s engagement, a friend told me I must pick a signature scent to wear on my wedding day. I’ve picked a few favorites since that day and always feel fancy every time I spritz them on.
- Black dress pants // For the longest time I rebelled against wearing dress pants. I could never find any that fit my frame. The day I stumbled across the Banana Republic Factory Sloan – fit was the day I became a fan of dress pants. A black dress pant is a great way to keep your legs warm in the wintertime and feel classy all at the same time.
- Black leather tote // I am a bargain hunter through and through, but making the investment in a black leather work tote is one you won’t regret. I’ve owned mine for over a year and it still looks brand new, which means that I’ll be able to use it for many years to come.
- One piece swimsuit // Find a one-piece swimsuit that fits your body well. I have endometriosis surgery incisions all over my belly and while they are tiny I know they are there and don’t want to wear a two-piece that shows my incisions off. A classy one-piece will leave you feeling confident and covered while you relax by the pool.
- Wool coat // This fall I was on a mission to find a wool coat that made me feel professional. I ordered and returned far too many. After multiple attempts, I finally found a wool coat that not only keeps me warm, but I also feel classy in.
- Trenchcoat // If you live in a rainy climate like I do, investing in a waterproof trench is a must-have for your grownup wardrobe. I can’t find my exact Columbia trench online, but I have linked other adorable ones above.
- Brow pencil // As you do your makeup, don’t forget to fill in your eyebrows. If you wear glasses like I do, filling in your eyebrows can really make your eyes pop. Doing your eyebrows doesn’t add more than 60 seconds to your morning routine and in return, you’ll feel polished as you go throughout your day.
- Classic black dress // Invest in a classic black dress that you’ll be able to wear for years to come. The previous link goes to something similar to what I own, but the exact dress I found on sale last summer. A classic black dress can be worn multiple ways and you’ll leave the house feeling like the grown-up woman you are.
- Hair dryer // It’s time to start drying your hair before you leave the house in the morning. By the time your 30, you must own a hairdryer. While you’re at it don’t forget to use a heat protectant to protect your luscious locks.